- Turn off lights, fans, computers or the TV when you leave the room (unless your little brother is still in there).
- Keep fridgerator door closed when not sifting around for food. It takes a lot of energy for your fridge to go back to its cold temperature!
- If you have a cell phone, unplug the charger when finished charging.
- Check your home for leaky faucets or toilets, and volunteer to help fix those in need of repair.
- Ask your parents to raise (in the summer) or lower (in the winter) the thermostat a few degrees, telling them it will save energy as well as money.
- Lower the blinds when the sun comes up in the summer, which deflects heat from the windows.
- Close doors in the winter to keep in heat.
- Offer to replace air filters. A clean filter helps the air-conditioner run more efficiently.
Back to How to Help the Earth